What are Access Tokens and How do they Work?
If you have a technical problem and you would like our support team to help, then, you can give our team access by generating an access token.
How Do Access Tokens Work?
The process of generating an access token is very simple.
- You set the number of days that the access token should be valid for (we recommend 14)
- You click on "Go" to generate the token
- Once the token is generated, you click "Copy and Close" to copy the token to the clipboard
- Paste the token into the ticket you are submitting on the Thrive Themes support forum ("Site Details" section, "WP-admin Password" field), when contacting our support team.
You can find more detailed instructions on how to generate the token in this article.
Send this code to our support team and we will be able to access your site for as long as the token remains active.
Why Are Access Tokens Better?
Without access tokens, you would have to send us a username and password so that we can log into your site.
There are a few problems with this:
- User accounts are inefficient to set up - while it is not a complex process, it is quite frustrating to go through the rigmarole of adding a username, password, email address and copying all this information one by one.
- User accounts are not encrypted - If someone manages to intercept the account details, then, they will be able to access your site
- User accounts remain activated indefinitely - It's an easy mistake to create a user account and leave it active on the site permanently.
Access tokens solve all these problems:
- Tokens are fast and easy - You can create and copy an access token in three clicks (it takes 3 seconds to do)
- Tokens are encrypted - Even if someone intercepts your token, they still will not be able to access your site
- Tokens are temporary - Tokens are set to expire after a certain amount of time.
In short, access tokens are easier to use and more secure than the conventional method of sending WP-admin details.