I love challenges… Especially the kind that kick me into action and help to get big results in very little time.
If you’re like me and you would like to boost your email list quickly, I’ve got just the little challenge for you.
In this post, you’ll discover 5 things that you can do to get more subscribers. Each one can be done in less than 2 hours.
So, this weekend, instead of spending your time looking at holiday pictures posted by some "friend" on Facebook (which will NOT help your business grow), I challenge you to pick one item from this post and to implement it…
Ready to grow that list? Here we go!
1. Create a (New) Opt-in Offer
I would like to receive another newsletter!
The famous phrase “Subscribe to Our Newsletter” is one of the 3 biggest conversion killers on any opt-in form and should be banned from the internet.
That’s why you need an opt-in offer; a valuable piece of information to give to your audience in exchange for their email address. This could be many different things, an eBook, a video, a mini-course, a checklist, ... as long as it is appealing to your readers.
You already have an opt-in offer? Great! Let’s make another one.
More opt-in offers = more list building opportunities.
Maybe your reader isn’t interested in eBook A but would love to see Checklist B. Different offers will resonate with different people. And unless your name is Nostradamus, it's impossible to guess which offer will be a home run.
That’s why, when we started optimizing the opt-in forms on Eofire, the first thing we did was test 5 different opt-in offers against each other.
Guess what, the opt-in offer that was promoted site wide was NOT the winner and this little experiment lifted conversions by 50.13%.
A good opt-in offer is a quick piece of information that answers a specific question your audience is having. That's why a list of tools or resources makes for a good opt-in offer.
Because we want to test this (new) opt-in offer quickly, I suggest you make a resource page.
This is a page that's hosted on your website. After subscribing, your reader gets access to this page.
How to make an opt-in offer resource page
- Brainstorm a list of resources or tools that you use that would be helpful to your audience. Eg. 8 Free Tools to Check Your Google Rankings, 6 Essential Kitchen Utensils That Will Save You Hours, 9 WP Plugins That Will Speed Up Your Site Immediately,...
- Create a new page on your site and choose the “review resource” landing page from the Thrive Landing Page library. You now have a page that looks exactly is the image below.
- Customize the images and the text.
- Create a new opt-in form in Thrive Leads, as the after sign-up action select “redirect to URL” and paste the URL of the page you just created.
- Use a plugin like Yoast SEO to set the index settings of the page to "Nofollow" and "No index" this will avoid people finding this page through Google.
- Publish the page. Your new opt-in offer is live!
2. A/B Test Your Most Displayed Opt-in Form
We recently ran a test on the Thrive Themes website for our primary opt-in form (the one that is shown to new visitors on all of our blog posts).
We tested a multiple-choice lightbox against a multiple-choice screen filler with a completely different design. Both are offering the same opt-in offers with the same copy and display immediately on page load.
+80,2% in conversion rate for the screen filler… That’s a lot of extra subscribers for very little effort! And you can do the same.
How to Add an Opt-in Form Variation
- In your Thrive Leads dashboard, go to the lead group of your primary opt-in form.
- Add a different type of opt-in form. I suggest you pick an opt-in form type that is more interruptive than the one you have now.
- Start the test, sit back and relax.
3. Create a (New) Landing Page for Your Opt-in Offer
What do you do if someone wants to come visit you? You give them your address. And not just the street you live in, but also the exact house number so that they can put it in their GPS and arrive quickly without detour.
A landing page is the home of your opt-in offer, it allows you to give a direct address to interested people.
If you already have a landing page, let’s make a new version to test.
Not sure what a landing page is or why you would need one? Check out our beginner's guide to landing pages
How to Build a Lead Generation Landing Page
- Create a new page on your website
- Pick one of the Thrive Landing Page templates
- Click here if you need full (video) instructions about how to set up a list building funnel.
- Set up an A/B test if you already had a landing page for that opt-in offer.
- Drive traffic to your landing page. You can find 10 traffic generation ideas here.
4. Create a Content Upgrade for Your Best Article
A content upgrade is an opt-in offer that is specific to one piece of content on your site. Because the offer is so closely related to the blog article, signup rates are typically much higher than for a more general opt-in offer.
You can see an example in the blog post 6 Mental Shortcuts That Make Your (Customer’s) Brain Say BUY. The content upgrade is a summary of the 6 psychological triggers + 2 extra brain hacks.
Content upgrades work, but it also takes time to create them. That’s why I suggest you find your best content (the content that gets a lot of traffic) and create a content upgrade for that blog article.
How to Add a Content Upgrade to Your Article
- Find the article that gets the most traffic. If you’re using Thrive Leads and you have an opt-in offer that shows on all of your blog articles, you can use the content marketing report and sort by impressions. The article with the most opt-in form impressions is the one that gets the most traffic. Or you can use Google Analytics to find the article that gets most visits. Go to "Behaviour" and click on "Landing Pages".
- Brainstorm ideas for a good content upgrade. A great idea is to provide additional examples or a checklist or action plan to go with your post. You can find a list of possible content upgrades here
- Next, use one of the content upgrade templates and the asset delivery feature in Thrive Leads to set it all up on your blog article.
5. Make a Quiz
Quizzes are fun to take and you can use an opt-in gate to turn your quiz into a list building machine.
There’s only one rule to keep in mind if you want your quiz to be successful at generating leads: the offer you’re making has to be valuable enough so that people want to give their email!
This means that the quiz taker needs to be curious enough to see the result to actually give their email.
You can find examples of how marketing pro’s are doing it here.
How to Make a List Building Quiz
- Select the list building template in Thrive Quiz Builder
- Use the dynamic content on the opt-in gate to personalize the page and/or to segment your email list based on the results of the quiz taker.
- Use the dynamic content on the results page to show each quiz taker their personal result.
Need more help? Sign up for the free Thrive University Course: How to Use Quizzes to Boost Conversions.
Are you Up for the Challenge?
What strategy will you implement this weekend? Let me know in the comments below!