How to Create a Landing Page From Scratch – Step by Step Guide
Have you ever come across a landing page you liked and was hoping to replicate it on your website but couldn't find the exact template?
In this demonstration video, I'm showing you that you don't have to wait for us to build the perfect template! (Check out our beginners' guide if you are unsure how to create a landing page in WordPress)
With Thrive Architect (formerly called Thrive Landing Pages) you can build ANY landing page you want in very little time!
Watch the video to look over my shoulder while I'm creating a 2 step lead generation landing page starting from scratch. As you see, it’s possible to build a landing page from scratch in 15 minutes even without using any templates.
Here's a summary of the process you can follow to do the same:
1. Find a Lead Generation Landing Page You Like
I stumbled upon this landing page from Amanda Genther and I immediately liked the simple style of it.
This is a good lead generation landing page because of:
- The branding elements: the picture and the logo help the visitor know they are in the right place.
- The colored box: writing the message in a colored box makes the most important part of the page very attention-grabbing and also increases the readability of the text.
- The call to action button: thanks to the size and the color, the call to action button stands out.
2. Discover the Building Blocks
When replicating a landing page, you have to take a moment to discover the "building blocks" of the page.
To find them, ignore design such as colors and pictures or what's written on the page (these are things you'll customize anyway to make your landing page look and feel like your brand) and only analyse the different layout elements that form the page.
In this case we have:
- A full screen background image
- A 2-column layout with all the content in the right side column
- A logo image with a transparent background
- A colored box with a title, some text, a big button that triggers an opt-in form in a lightbox and a line of text underneath the button
- A final line of text outside of the box
If we look at the opt-in box, we can see:
- A progress bar
- A line of text
- A title
- A vertically aligned opt-in form with 2 fields and a colored submit button
3. Create Your Own Landing Page Version
Now that we know these different elements, we can easily create the same style of landing page with the Thrive Architect plugin.
In the video you can watch over my shoulder as I'm creating this one live.
As you see, I'm not trying to copy the landing page exactly, but I'm using the building blocks (that we've identified in the previous step) and the elements that make this landing page interesting on my own design. To see a demonstration of how you can copy a landing page design down to every detail, you can check out this post.
Stocksnap.io: Free stock photos without any copyright restriction.
Picmonkey: Free online tool to easily resize your images
Thrive Leads: Our list building WordPress plugin that will allow you to create 2 step opt-in forms that you can A/B test for higher conversions
4. Save as a Template
Once you've created the landing page you like, you now have the possibility to save this landing page as your own template.
This allows you to easily create multiple landing pages in the same style without having to start from a blank page every time.
Furthermore you can also export this landing page. This gives you the opportunity to use this landing page on any WordPress website that has the Thrive Architect installed!
Now it's up to you!
Please let me know in the comments if you find these "landing page from scratch" videos helpful and tell me if there is a design you would like to create!